All tattoo artists and body piercing studios must be registered with the local health authority and carry public liability insurance. They must also apply a reasonable level of care and skill when performing their jobs, including taking precautions to ensure their equipment and environment are clean and sterile.
Unfortunately, however, there is no recognised tattoo or piercing qualification. Many procedural failures only become apparent when someone sustains an injury or infection due to unclean instruments or practices. If you or your child has suffered from an infected tattoo or piercing injury, Graham Coffey & Co can assist you. Contact our Manchester solicitors to learn how you can recover from your tattoo injuries.
Tattoo Artist Negligence
We represent those injured by tattoo/piercing studio failures such as:
- Failing to use a new, sterilised needle for each customer
- Failing to carry out a medical survey before commencing work
- Employing inadequately trained or careless workers
- Using defective equipment
- Failing to wear gloves
- Overly aggressive tattooing
- Allowing eating or drinking in the treatment area
- Using nonsterile jewellery
- Lack of aftercare advice
In addition to the dangers of infections such as tetanus or hepatitis B, those who suffer tattoo or piercing injuries may also experience localised swelling, allergic reactions to the ink or latex used, or ripped piercings. All of these injuries can result in permanent scarring that individuals must carry for the rest of their lives.
People may also suffer allergic reactions to temporary tattoos, such as henna or face paint. As with regular tattoos, artists should test a small area of the skin to be sure there is no adverse reaction to the dye being used.
What to Do if You Suffer Infection or Injury After Getting a Tattoo or Piercing
- Report your injury to the tattoo/piercing studio immediately
- Visit your GP
- Retain any documentation, including sample artwork
- For piercings, retain any jewellery and studs used
- Contact us as soon as possible to get started on your claim
We will take care of all the details of your claim. Your solicitor will answer your questions and guide you through the entire process step by step.
Contact Our Solicitors for Blood Infections and Other Injuries Caused by Faulty Piercings or Tattoos
We serve clients in Greater Manchester, including Rochdale, and the surrounding regions of North West England. To discuss your tattoo or piercing claim with one of our Manchester solicitors, call us on 0161 820 9613 or send us an email to arrange a free initial consultation.