Sadly, roofers account for 25% of employees killed in falls from heights. If you or someone you care about has been injured in a roofing accident, our specialist injury solicitors at Graham Coffey & Co can help you obtain the compensation to which you are entitled. Due to our extensive experience dealing with personal injury claims, we can also work with your doctors to ensure you are receiving the best possible treatment.
While working on a roof is dangerous, it can be made relatively safe if appropriate measures are taken by employers. The duty of an employer is the same whether you work for a large firm or you are assisting one roofer on a job. The employer should:
- Provide appropriate training for working at heights and job-specific tasks
- Make adequate assessments of the site
- Make sure the right equipment is used (for example, a scaffold, crane or cherry picker may be necessary for work at substantial heights)
- Check the site for hazards
- Conduct physical inspections
- Take proper action for minimising risk where hazards are found
- Provide waste chutes or other safe means of moving material to the ground
- Provide adequate fall protection such as nets, edge guards and harnesses
- Provide appropriate equipment, footwear and clothing
- Provide a suitable work platform and a safe way to transport materials onto the roof
The majority of roofing injuries occur when a worker falls through fragile roofing material such as asbestos. Injuries also occur when materials are thrown down from the roof or when a worker is getting on or off a roof. Additionally, roofers often suffer from lifting injuries as they twist, stretch and strain to carry awkward materials.
Industrial Roof Injuries: Solicitors Serving Blackburn
In the case of industrial roofing where work is conducted on larger scale, the risk for injury is even greater and, therefore, the need for thorough preparation and assessment is also greater. To arrange a free consultation, call 0161 820 9529 or complete the online form to send us an email. Our law office is located in Manchester and we serve injured workers throughout North West England, including Blackburn. We offer solicitors who speak Punjabi and Urdu, and we make home and hospital visits.