According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), on average forklift trucks are involved in 24% of all workplace transport accidents. Many of these accidents are preventable with proper training. At Graham Coffey & Co, we stand up for injured workers and hold negligent employers accountable for forklift injuries.
Employers must follow the Health and Safety Authority's published Approved Code of Practice (ACOP) for Rider-Operated Lift Trucks: Operator Training and Supplementary Guidance. The rules and regulations contained in this code must be closely followed to avoid serious accidents. Unfortunately, accidents still occur frequently. When they do, our specialist injury solicitors can step in and provide injured workers with trusted advice. Our Manchester solicitors handle forklift accident claims involving:
- All types of lift-trucks, including forklifts operated by drivers on or off the truck
- Rogue employees not following proper procedures
- Lack of forklift procedures in place
- Poor supervision of employees
- Inadequate space to operate a forklift
- Loading areas too close to other employees
- Inadequate warning noises when forklift reverses
- Forklift hitting or running over an employee
- Using a forklift where there are visual obstructions
- Defective forklift
- Poorly maintained forklift
- Overloaded forklift
Forklift Accident Case Study
Mr. P. was employed by the defendant and had assisted with loading wooden sheets onto a forklift truck. Once loading was complete, the forklift driver suddenly began to reverse. As the truck reversed, the wheels turned towards Mr. P. who panicked and tried to jump onto the footwell to avoid being hit by the forklift. He lost his footing and the forklift ran over his leg causing a displaced fracture to his lower leg. The employer denied responsibility, accusing Mr. P. of trying to hitch a ride on the forklift. We aggressively pursued the employer, issuing court proceedings and progressing the matter towards a trial. The employer, under intense pressure from our expert work injury solicitor, accepted responsibility, and we secured a payment of over £20k.